Friday, February 5, 2010

Busybodies

So it's been awhile. Not because things have been terribly busy, but because I've just been doing other things. I've started a few knitting projects (and bought enough yarn for several).
I'm half way through a really good book (Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann), and I've been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to keep the house clean. Not so much the whole house, because that would be overly ambitious, as the floors and the kitchen. These are the two things that have to be clean in order for me to not feel totally crazy-stressed-out. I don't know why this is. Anything and everything else in the house can be messy, but as long as the floors are clean and the kitchen is tidy, I'm OK.

But even keeping those two things clean is a serious challenge while also trying to keep track of a busybusybusy Chubbs. He is quite practiced at opening doors and will be around the corner and through the laundry room door before you can say wheredoyouthinkyou'regoing?! Plus, after he goes in the laundry room he closes the door behind him, so unless you're practicing good listening skills you sometimes have no idea where he's gone. And this wouldn't be so much of a problem if the access to the basement weren't through the laundry room, and if Cormac didn't keep trying to climb into the washing machine. So we've ordered a gate to keep him in the living room/dining room/kitchen. Because it's too cold right now to stick him on a bungee cord on the porch.

The cold has not stopped us from going to the park, though. If this kid doesn't get his outside time everyday, there is inevitably a meltdown. We were actually in the process of getting ready to go to the park today, and he cried big, fat crocodile tears until we got outside. Like, "My life is totally ruined because we aren't outside, and if we don't go outside this instant I am going to dissolve into a boneless baby mass of tears!" But once we were outside everything was right with the world once again. Even though the wind was blowing at about 25 mph.

In fact, we were the only people at the park, because everyone else had sense enough to stay inside. I think looking out the window to see street lights shaking like jello may have encouraged others to scramble for paper, glue, and glitter. But they weren't facing the possibility of spending an afternoon with Mr. Crabbypants. So we stayed at the park until I was freezing, and then we went back inside like normal people.

So, yeah. In the midst of all this running around and trying to appease the master of the house, I've been trying to do things I like to do. But I've found that I can only choose two of my things per day; I do one while Cormac is napping in the morning, and then I do one after he has gone to bed. If I try to do more than one thing during either time, it all just seems very frantic, and that totally defeats the purpose of doing something I like. And so my blog has been neglected, because I've been having fun knitting.
Ooh, ooh! And guess what? Cormac is sleeping through the night!!!!! But now that I've said that the sky is going to come crashing down and we are all going to suffer mightily. Sweet.

No comments: